The Oakland Baptist Church of Rock Hill, SC
The logo on all our publications affirms that we are a church which holds fast to something George MacLeod, founder of the Iona Community in Scotland, said back in the early days of the 20th century. MacLeod said, “Jesus was not crucified in a cathedral between two candles, but on a cross between two thieves...at a crossroads so cosmopolitan that they had to write his title in Hebrew, Latin and Greek…at the kind of place where cynics talk smut, thieves curse and soldiers gamble. Because that is where he died and that is what he died about, that is where Christ' s people should be and what they should be about.” Here at this strategic crossroad in Rock Hill this church tries to be the hands and feet of Jesus to all. We have wonderful Bible study groups for all ages at different days during the week, but we, also, house the homeless within our facilities. We have wonderful music from Kindermusik to Creative Worship music to the classics of hymnody, but we, also, helped birth Rock Hill' s only Free Medical Clinic. We have a comprehensive youth ministry and ministry to the students of Winthrop University, but we, also, provide assistance to 1000' s of hurting citizens each year through our free-standing Ministry Center. We have both Traditional worship and Creative worship, but we, also, send our people to Haiti, Belgium and North Africa to do hands-on missions. As much as anything else we love our intergenerational times of fellowship and good eating, but we, also, have built 9 Habitat for Humanity homes. We are grateful for those who have gone before us and laid the foundations upon which we stand, but are, also, open to whatever new thing God may have in store for us. This “church in the crossroads”, where both women and men function as servants and leaders, tries to embody what Jesus said were the two greatest commandments: “Love God and love others.” We would welcome you to walk alongside us in that journey.
United in the faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, revealed in history, disclosed in the Scriptures, and experienced in human life, we, the members of Oakland Baptist Church, do solemnly and joyfully make this Covenant together:
- We will be faithful to the public worship of God, gathering as the Body of Believers to celebrate God’s glory and remember God’s grace.
- We will take seriously the responsibility and privilege of personal Christian growth, diligently seeking to establish and maintain a Christian atmosphere in our homes.
- We will love and encourage each other in the Body of Believers and admonish each other as occasion may require. Our differences will not separate us but rather increase our understanding and strengthen the bonds of Christian love.
- We will be faithful stewards, as God has prospered us, contributing our financial support for the Church and its ministries and offering ourselves for God's work in the world.
- We will, with God's help, so live our lives that others, seeing the joy of Christian living, may seek to know Jesus Christ our Lord.
- We will be a servant Church, recognizing the infinite worth of every person and believing that Christ has called us to active involvement in behalf of humankind.